Thursday, April 14, 2011

Architecture: How Long Island City Gets It Right

I walked around Long Island City today with my camera around 6pm on a whim. I wasn't sure what I was going to take pictures of, but if nothing else, LIC has those great waterfront views, and on the first 65 degree day of the spring, I decided to take advantage of the circumstances. My first instinct, as I climbed the grimy stairs from the bowels of the 7-train platform, was to really highlight (er.. lowlight?) the cookie-cutter curtainwall condo's/greenhouses that have been the staple of 00's NYC residential development. I already knew that Long Island City had been a major victim of that wave. However, while walking along Jackson Avenue and the nearby streets, I was very pleasantly surprised at the success of some of the latest architecture. I saw interesting forms and creative balcony design. But one of my favorite features is bringing brick back into the equation of the condo tower. New York City residential architecture has always had an abundance of brick, so it's such a great nod to our history. Brick is also a much easier transition when it's situated next to an older building, which is a daily challenge for building in the city. Instead of a glass box plopped onto a lot, it's nice to see some consideration to the "neighbors." (Side note: I would highly suggest clicking on the picture and zooming in to see all the detail.)


Cranes, construction, condo's.

Tetris!
Vinyl siding NY




Floor to ceiling windows with gray brick interspersed
Front elevation
Nice
Again, curtainwall style windows with brick
The brick transitions nicely to the adjacent building
Pressed metal "brick" siding
Close-up
Industrial beauty
Nice form of the balconies


And Classic PS-1







No comments:

Post a Comment